Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Sewing Machine

Just sittin in the shop/quilt work area and assembling a queen size quilt.  The individual blocks are all assembled, and I'm sewing them into the rows.  Kind of a boring step, and my mind some times wanders.  Some times when this happens, the blocks get sewed backwards, upside down, or inside out.  But other times I can't help but marvel at what my little Singer Featherweight does.  My Featherweight is an older model, and I sometimes can't help but think of the original owner using it.  Sooner or later I think about a time before the sewing machine was invented.  When you stop and think about it, the sewing machine hasn't been around all that long.  Think about clothes 220 years ago.  Hand made.  "Hand made" then meant needle and thread.  Fifty years ago I remember asking my grandmother what invention meant the most to her in her life.  Without thinking about it she said the sewing machine, the electric sewing machine. 

3 comments:

Holee said...

My grandma was a bit of a carpet bagger. When I asked her what change was most important to her she said her Nash Rambler! But I do get that feeling when I use my feather weight as to who bought it and what glorious things they made on it. My first FW had an airline ticket on the case handle from Eastern Airlines so we know it was a long time since anyone had used it and the lastest one I got had the extra feet carefully wrapped up in old cracked oil cloth, another indication as to how long it had been that way. Oh if only the machines could talk!

Neabear said...

I have my great-aunt's featherweight and I can't get it to work. Runs if the bobbin is not in there, but when I put it back in the needle won't go. I would love to have it working again. I think there is a picture of it somewhere on my sewing blog. I have two blogs. I don't remember when I did that post.

Linnea

Neabear said...

I found the post that shows the featherweight. Here is the link if you want to check it out.

http://neabearsewingandcraftmess.blogspot.com/2009/08/vintage-thingies-thursdays-in-sewing.html

Linnea