Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Fabric Cutting Templates

Some of you all remember that I help teach a quilting class at the local Senior Center. We have 10 ladies who meet regularly once a week, to learn and to make quilts. The ladies are at all different levels, and abilities. I have learned more from them than they have from me. One problem that many seem to have is the cutting of fabric. When I say cutting fabric, I mean using a cutting mat, a rotary cutter, and a straight edge. I have determined that the problem for some is the combination of a sharp blade in the rotary cutter and a lack of arm strength.

To help to overcome the problem I cut templates out of 1/8 th inch thick plexiglas. I have found that it is somewhat easier for the ladies (and myself) to cut around the template, and achieve the proper squared up fabric size.

No comments: