Friday, June 19, 2009

New Walking Staff




While at the Evart, Michigan Woodcarvers Roundup last week I started carving a walking staff/stick. The stick is 46 inches tall, and is Aspen. I decided that I wanted a Gnome on the top and then added a Gnome house at the very bottom. In between the top and the bottom there is a leafed vine with Dogwood flowers. And since I am basically a whittler, the staff was carved entirely by pocket knife. The only blunder I made was trying to tint the staff after I had returned from the eye Doctor with my eyes dilated.


5 comments:

Bob Tinsley said...

Nice work! I really like the gnome house. How did you do the texture on the area with the vine?

Bob

Tom H said...

The background started out with a nailset, moved to an awl, then to a nail, then to an old drill bit and drill. But the actual carving was done with the trusty pocket knife.

Dave Brock said...

This kind of carving (and stick) is right down my alley. I also love the texture around the vine and see that you have answered my question too about using the nail, awl, and drill. You brought up some nice ideas. Thanks!

tisme said...

OMG, I love that stick!! It is fanstatick ha ha, sorry could not resist. I think the gnome looks great.

elsie123 said...

you do wonderful work! just what I need...an interest in yet another hobby...