Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Adjusting Longarm Quilting Machine @#*%?

For some of you younger readers, that's "Snuffy Smith" language in the posting title. Before one can operate a quilting machine it must be checked and properly adjusted if necessary. And I am beginning to think it's always necessary. There are lots of variables that must be considered when adjusting a long arm quilting machine. Most typical problems will appear on the back side of the quilt. There might be open loops, excess thread, etc. Most of these problems can be fixed by making sure the machine is threaded properly (needle thread and bobbin thread). What adjustment remains is the tension (the amount of pressure that is on the thread to ensure a proper stitch on both the quilt top and back). Actually, adjusting one of these buggers is like juggling 5 balls in the air, with 2 more thrown in at any time).

The machine I am playing with is the VOYAGER 17, with CRUISE CONTROL stitch regulator, on the HINTERBERG frame.

I am sure it is much more fun once the machine is adjusted to the sample fabrics and batting I would like to use. Right now it's no fun.....Well, it's no fun only because I don't have lots of time. I do think it's an incredible machine and system.

1 comment:

Holee said...

Once you get it adjusted, you'll love it! I paid $15. an hour to use one and was on it for 3 hours the first time. It did make me nervous but after 3 hours I got the swing of it and now I love it.

I once had the change to buy a car or a longarm. I got the car. Now that I am alone so many hours, I wish I had the longarm. Stick with it and soon you'll be humming away and finishing up those quilts!

Have a great Thanksgiving!