Friday, December 12, 2008

Bag The Presents



Every year during the Christmas season, folks know what presents are from me, before they are handed out. There is usually some snickering, and a little outright laughing, because of the way that I have wrapped them. It seems that I always do a messy job of it, with way too much tape. The corners are all messed up with extra folds and wrinkles. I never realized that it was just like making a bed with hospital corners, until right now. I usually have to splice a piece of extra wrapping paper, to cover part of the gift, because I cut the paper too small. BUT NOT THIS YEAR! Last year after Christmas, Walmart was closing out their fabric in a smaller local store. All fabric was $1.00 a yard, but Christmas fabric was $ .50 a yard. I bought yards of the stuff, and have cut and sewn it into large and smaller draw string bags. I have three different sizes of bags to use. Now I just have to be sure that the present in the bag is worth more than the bag itself. I am also considering adding a tag to the bag that reminds some of the folks that the bag can be recycled. It could even be recycled next Christmas with a present for me. I doubt that I could get away with that. But there better not be any more snickering and laughing at the way I wrap presents.

4 comments:

lrmart said...

cool idea...I was also thinking of making shopping bags and using them as gift bags instead of buying paper ones...
We have stores here that will take $.05 off your bill for each shopping bag you use...

Tina said...

great idea to get that fabric so inexpensively and make bags!

Holee said...

Cool idea! Pretty, neat and re-useable.

Of course I'll be re-useing the brown bags my son put my gifts in..son is getting them for his lunch!

elsie123 said...

Everyone will like the bags. I've got a few I made 15-20 years ago that are still in use and making the rounds!