Sunday, January 11, 2009

Quilt vs Comforter

Ask me if I know the difference between a quilt and a comforter. Well, I do now. When I put this quilt top and batting together with the backing fabric I thought I was assembling a quilt. When I loaded it on to the Ulmer quilting frame I thought I was making a quilt. When I threaded the #10 needle and made my first stab, I was still thinking I was making a quilt. When I tried to put two quilt stitches on the needle I began to have some doubts. When I looked at the "quilting" after several squares were quilted somewhat "in-the-ditch" I knew I was not making a quilt - I was making a comforter. You see, the batting that I choose was an old piece left over from who knows what. You might be able to see in the photo that the batting was way too thick. The stitches cannot be very close together. And you cannot believe how "puffy" this lap comforter is. If I ever finish this "lap comforter", it will be warm.
But from now on I'll pay more attention to the quality and the thinness of the batting.

2 comments:

Holee said...

I only use cotton, Warm & Natural, for machine quilting and 50/50 blend for hand quilting, Mountain Mist.

Canarella said...

LOL... Tom the batting is actually spilling out from the side ....to funny but with the new snow you will need a good warm comforter....lol...lani