Monday, February 9, 2009

To Tie A Quilt Or Not?????

Is a "quilt a quilt" when it is tied, rather than "quilted"? This has been on my mind for some time now. It's more on my mind now since I am considering tieing one. But if I don't "quilt" it, how can it be a quilt?
I have even heard some answer this question, "no, if it's tied its a "comforter". I have seen others turn up their noses when tied "quilts" are mentioned. Growing up I remember some quilts that were used, and they were tied. But I think they were a bit thick too. Well, shoot they were made and used to keep folks warm...
Stay tuned I may ask if a quilt that is machine "quilted" is hand made.

7 comments:

Not Lucy said...

In my opinion tied quilts are quilts just the same as machine or hand quilted ones. It is just another form of quilting. If it was good enough for my grandmother it is good enough for me!

lrmart said...

A quilt is a bed covering composed of a quilt top, a layer of batting, and a layer of fabric for backing.
quilted - made of layers of fabric held together by patterned stitching
quilting - stitching through layers of fabric and a filling so as to create a design
That's how it was explained to me a long time ago...

Sherry said...

I think it's a quilt. And found this to support it:

Definition Noun #2
http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/quilt

And Merriam-Webster states:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/quilt

Yep, a tied quilt is a quilt.
Next question. ;0)

Anonymous said...

I tie all my QUILTS and I tie them in patterns so yes they are quilts.

Canarella said...

Oh for Gosh Sakes tie the damn thing and call it a quilt.......love U Lani

tisme said...

My Mom has always done both ways (tied and hand quilted) and she calls them quilts. If she says that is what they are, then that is what they are!!
Tammy

Tom H said...

OK, I get it! A quilts a quilt, a quilt. Thanks, I needed that!