Friday, October 3, 2008

One of first full size quilts made


This quilt is not a true crazy quilt. I called it a "cheaters" crazy quilt. It's all top stitched with a ziz zag stitch. I started out makin the large squares with the individual pieces overlapped and top stitched with a zig zag stitch. Next I trimmed each of the large squares by using a template. I had to do this step to make sure all the large squares were the exactly the same size. Then I cut all the large squares into four equal quarters, and put all the quarters into a bag. Finally, you shake up the bag and then pick four quarters from the bag and lay them out as a larger square. Sew the four quarters together (with a 1/4 inch seam) to form the larger square. Then assemble the larger squares into the finished quilt top, using the 1/4 inch seam. I am sure you all know the rest of the drill. Find someone with a longarm quilting machine that works for nothing and have it quilted with a meander quilting pattern. And finally, since this was my first full size quilt, and I had no idea how to attach a binding; paid someone to do it for me.

This quilt is a good first project for someone who has little or no experience drivin a sewing machine. It is also made a lot easier to assemble when you use a template to trim all the squares prior to assembly.

No comments: