Sunday, October 5, 2008

Wood carving










The first actual woodcarving I did was a relief carving of an eagle. Since this was done over 45 years ago I don't have a photo to post. Even If I had a photo of it, I probably would not post it. I am sure it was a bad one. Fours ago I renewed by efforts toward wood carving. I started out by giving more detail to the pairs of animals for the Noah's Arks. This may be evident in the above photo of the baby elephant. My pocket knife shows the size of the baby elephant. Then I began to focus on faces. The middle photo shows some typical Santa tree ornaments that I carve. These Santa ornaments are sized anywhere from 1/2 inch to 2 inches tall. Some of my carved Santa pins are as small as 1/4 inch. The photo on the right is actually a study block; with the four steps of carving the face included. The photo is of the final, finished carving. I also carve Wizards, and Gnomes. and just about anything that I can scale down to a small size.

No comments: